Since the flash tune program's inception in 1996, the one requirement was that the tune needed to be installed at a Dinan authorized dealer. This forced those in the international market or those in rural areas away from our core markets to either send in their DME for a bench flash or to simply live without Dinan tuning. No one should miss out on the chance to experience a Dinan tuned BMW so for those not near an authorized Dinan dealer a solution to tune your BMW is finally available in an easy to use DIY package. Complete with the various interface cabling that is needed for the vehicle the kit enables the end-user to be able to flash their own vehicle in the comfort of their own garage. The kit will also allow the user to flash the vehicle between stock and Dinan at a moment's notice whenever the need may arise.
1. When ordering please ensure you have your VIN ready for the checkout process. It is crucial that it is typed in accurately and completely at that time. While we offer the DIY kits in Stage 1 form the additional stages will need to be purchased and installed at an authorized dealer as they require hard parts to function properly.
2. DIY software is at your own risk. Dinan is not responsible for any expenses incurred due to a failed flash. Please be aware of reccommendations for programming as referenced on page 8 of the installation manual (linked below) for optimum success. The programming cable does not have a recovery service and will require ISTA or similar BMW dealer tools in the event the ECU needs to be recovered.
There is more to a tune than just adding power. Power needs to come on smoothly and in a predictable way to make the car as fun to drive at wide-open throttle as cruising around town. It is your BMW but reborn with new found acceleration and speed.
Dinan Engine Software raises the factory rev-limiter by 150 rpm (8400 rpm maximum), endowing the V-10 with a broader power band and greater road speed potential in each gear. The software also removes the top speed governor, enabling the cars to attain their ''natural'' top speed; and the V-10s WILL pull right to red-line in top gear! The software also speeds up throttle response, providing a sportier feel and improved modulation capabilities.
The combination of Dinan's re-calibration of ignition timing and air/fuel ratios, along with a simple modification to the stock air filter elements, produces a maximum gain of 5 hp @ 8100 rpm and 5 lb-ft torque @ just 3000 rpm. Dinan's software also provides re-calibration of the factory ''torque-limiting'' programming, ensuring that maximum power is available under varying driving conditions.
The biggest benefit of a true software tune like Dinan's Performance Software is that all of the communications between the engine sensors and the engine management computer (DME) remain unaltered. This translates to properly returned fuel mixtures, ignition timing and full map rescaling to keep everything in sync. Keeping an engine running at its best and with the most reliable power is what Dinan is all about. Properly returned fuel mixtures to the DME along with a correct tune means keeping the engine running cooler with less wasted fuel. Ignition timing is a critical part of the equation to limit engine knock, one that many tuning companies ignore. Dinan Performance Software includes full map rescaling to protect the engine and keep everything running smoothly. Not to mention, BMW worked hard to build systems to protect the engine in case of a failure, Dinan keeps all of these systems in place for the safest possible tune.
- More Power: Max gains of +5 HP @ 8100 RPM and +5 lb-ft TRQ @ 3000 RPM
- 50 State Emissions legal; CARB EO # D-176-37
- 150 RPM rev-limit increase
- Improved throttle mapping
- Improved ignition timing, fuel delivery and cam timing
- Top speed governor removed
- Smooth and predictable power delivery